me Life and Times of the Fireflies: Chocolate and Spice Layered Cake

Friday 21 June 2013

Chocolate and Spice Layered Cake

Before the time of internet, blogs, food websites and Google; people connected through food on a much more personal level. Recipes were either handed down from mother to daughter, or they formed a topic of discussion at social gatherings and were shared. Strangely enough, as I discover new recipes and new resources, I love to page through my (very) old handwritten recipe book. Some of my favourite recipes are recipes shared the old fashioned way; handwritten and treasured.
 
This deliciously soft and spongy Chocolate and Spice tea cake was shared by a very dear family friend, who I fondly hold in my heart for her endearing smile, kind heart and culinary skills of course! So, though times have changed, our method of sharing has changed too, and I have decide to share this old favourite recipe, the new way!
 
INGREDIENTS:
· 1 cup milk
·  ½ of a ¼ pound of butter (+- 63g)
· 1 ¼cup sugar
· 3 large eggs
· 1 ½ cup cake flour
· 2 tblsp cocoa
· 2 tsp vanilla essence/extract
· 3 ½ tsp baking powder
· ½ tsp cinnamon and ½ tsp nutmeg ( I sometimes use store bought mixed spice as well)
METHOD:
1.      Pre-Heat oven to 180ÂșC
2.      Beat sugar and eggs well until thick and pale. Add vanilla essence and a pinch of salt.
3.      Bring milk and butter to a boil.
4.      Meanwhile, sift dry ingredients but not cocoa and spices
5.      Fold in flour, then add milk mixture
6.      Divide mixture evenly.
7.      In one half add sifted cocoa and in the other add cinnamon and nutmeg. 
8.      Place in 2 well-greased round baking tins and bake for 20min
ICING:
1 ¼ cup icing sugar
63gr butter
1 ½ tblsp cocoa
1 tblsp coffee dissolved in a little water
1 tblsp milk
(I usually double the quantities of butter, icing sugar and milk for this cake)






Enjoy,
 
 
NAMU :)

No comments:

Post a Comment