me Life and Times of the Fireflies: Afghan Biscuits

Monday 3 June 2013

Afghan Biscuits

I'm far from a professional baker, having mastered only basic skills and learning a few new things along the way. I'm more of a homely baker, baking the simplest of things that the kids usually wipe out in seconds. What I love most about the art of baking is not always in the aesthetics of the finished product (although a good end product is always great). It's in the way the aroma of the house is transformed to a home. In the way the kids follow the trail of the smell, all landing up in the kitchen one by one, raiding the tray of freshly baked goods straight out of the oven. It's in their lit up faces when they come home from school and work, discovering the treats, knowing that they've been spoilt. As a mother, the most cherished memories are the ones where the kids stand beside me while baking, helping me along....measuring, sifting, licking their fingers and fighting over the last bits of mixture clinging to the bottom of the bowl.


I've made a conscious decision to do more of these spontaneous bouts of baking, exploring my old recipe books once again, the cake batter splattered pages telling me where I've been most. It's while doing this that I stumbled across an old favourite biscuit recipe. These biscuits were wiped out within the first hour of baking them and I had to make two more batches after that. They are very addictive and super easy (it's what I do best) to make! Here is the recipe.
 
 Ingredients
·180gr butter
·1/3 cup castor sugar
·1 1/2 cups plain flour
·1 tablespoon cocoa
·1 cup Corn Flakes, lightly crushed
1/4 cup coconut


Method
1.      Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

2.      Stir in sifted flour and coconut, and then add Corn Flakes and coconut.

3.      Roll into almond size balls, patting the tops slightly flat and place lightly greased trays about   3cm apart.

4.      Bake at 180ÂșC for about 12 minutes until biscuits are firm and slightly golden.

5.      Once removed from oven, spread with melted chocolate immediately and then allow to cool.


P.S.  usually double this recipe because it's such a hit. One batch makes about 30 biscuits.



 
 
 
 
 

Hope u all enjoy these mouth watering chocolate treats!
 
 
NAMU :)



 





No comments:

Post a Comment