me Life and Times of the Fireflies: Tea-Time Treats for Moms on the Go

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Tea-Time Treats for Moms on the Go


With so much to celebrate this past weekend, it was a perfect opportunity for me to make use of my renewed passion and get busy in the kitchen. Being a mom on the go, I am constantly on the lookout for things to make life easier and quicker so that I'm not drawn away from my kids and their needs for too long.  I recently came across these ready to use mini shortcake cups and thought it would be perfect to use to make one of my favourite autumn tea-time treats, Lemon Meringue.

I usually make one large one, but individual desserts always look pretty and inviting :-). These ready cups definitely cut down my time in the kitchen!

Here is my quick and easy recipe for Lemon Meringue.

YOU WILL NEED :

Ingredients
Crust
Ready to use shortcake cups

Filling
3 egg yolks
1 tin condensed milk
125ml lemon juice

Meringue
2tblsp sugar
3 egg whites


METHOD:
Pre- heat the oven to 150°C
Separate your eggs.
Whisk egg yolks and lemon juice together. Your mixture will increase in volume slightly.
Add condensed milk and mix.
Fill the shortcake cups, right to the top, with  the lemon curd mixture.
Now whisk egg whites till stiff, gradually adding the sugar. (Just a tip that I read somewhere a few years ago:  egg whites to be whisked in a stainless steel bowl).
Once the meringue mixture is stiff and able to hold its shape, add a spoonful of meringue on top of the curd.
Bake for 20 minutes
Let the meringue cool.
  
And Voila! 


Delicious, bite-sized treats perfect for those concerned about portion control ;)









Enjoy!

Namu :)

No comments:

Post a Comment